Wednesday 6 April 2011

The Jobs Of A Parent

Have you ever considered the many different job titles of a parent?
 A few years ago when I was feeling overwhelmed one day I wrote down all the different job titles I had as a home schooling mother, I think I mostly wrote them down to prove to myself how hard my job was. I lost that list long ago now but I have been thinking about it recently as my teenage son and first daughter are experiencing a clash of personalities at the moment.
They love each other to bits, but they can turn on each other in an instant. This leaves me as the policejury and then the judge some of my least favourite jobs. They come to me moaning, groaning, whining or crying with issues that need immediate attention.
After that I then need to be their counsellor and advisor to try to direct them on the right path.
As much as I get the children to do their part I still sometimes feel like a cleaner putting toys away that they have forgotten to or re-sweeping the just swept floor because it wasn't done properly.
Of course there are the daily jobs that I have also such as : cook, dentist, teacher, entertainer, personal organiser and laundry woman.
There are also the jobs that come around less often but require a delicate approach such as nurse, doctor, trainer and life coach.
When we go out whether it be the park or the shops my mind is always in gear and my eyes are always looking for anything that might be a danger or possible danger I suppose that would be a danger analysis. I'm also their bodyguard trying to keep them safe and their parole officer if they have been naughty.
I'm sure there are many more jobs that I haven't covered that you may find yourselves in if you are a parent or even if you're not a parent but are taking care of a child for a while, but while I am writing this I am also thinking of the many titles Jesus has; Brother, Friend, Saviour, Shepherd, King, Counsellor and Rock.
None of these titles does He consider to be a job, these things are just who He is.
Jesus can be all of these things to us if we just lean on Him and allow ourselves to be led by Him.
1 Sam. 2:2 There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
So maybe it's better not to focus on my many different job titles as a parent because parent or not we all have different rolls to play in life at home at work with friends with children and with our own parents.
Besides my children don't think about any of the different titles I may or may not have, as far as they are concerned I am just MUMMY.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It's all so true - when I read it I actually felt priviliged that I get to do so many varied things with my time at home. Hard work, yes, but never, never boring! xx

    ReplyDelete