Monday 9 May 2011

The Royal Wedding

Did anyone else do anything for the royal wedding?
I didnt' think I would, I'm not the type of person that has paid too much attention to the royal family. Yes I knew about the significant events that have taken place over the years, but I'd never really put much thought into what any of them were doing. So when the engagement was announced to me it seemed more about celebrity.  I thought that there was too much hype and I certainly wasn't planing on getting caught up in it. But as the weeks approached I must admit I did find myself listening a bit more to what was going on and I started getting a bit caught up in it all, buying myself a t.shirt that said "IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME", just for fun of course. Then a few days later I bought the girls t.shirts with crowns on them and even bought the baby some shorts with red white and blue on them. I also bought some yummy food especially for the day and a celebratory biscuit tin with William and Kate on the lid. Mustn't forget the paper plates with the union jack and plastic cups to match of course. I considered buying flags but I thought that would be too much. I was sure it would be just another day, but when the day arrived I turned on the T.V just to see what all the fuss was about and found that  I was completely hooked. (Obviously I was already hooked I just didn't know I was hooked).
Watching all the processions, the guests arrive, the two princes arrive and waiting to see 'that dress' how could anyone not get swept into the excitement and joy of the day.
Even oldest daughter was enjoying it all saying "mummy we should have bought those flags after all".  So in the biggest rush we could muster we gathered paper, straws, crayons and sticky tape and proceeded to make our 'do it yourself ' flags which we very much enjoyed waving along with the many others on T.V. 
As I was so caught up in the day it got too late to cook the yummies so I made 'flag sandwiches' which the girls loved and oldest daughter made a clown cake and decorated it red white and blue.
All in all I prepared for and celebrated a day I really didn't think I would and thoroughly enjoyed it too.

 My behaviour was the prefect example of how a person can be so easily swayed, I got so caught up in the romance and spectacle of it all, it took me back to my own wedding day.
Hopefully this couple will be an example to many young people.
"Marriage is honourable in all".Hebrews 13:4 
It was lovely though to watch a man and woman who love each other commit themselves to one another, to hear the hymns, to feel the joy and hope that many many people who were watching could be moved in some way seek and find God for themselves.

Clown cake by oldest daughter

                  






1 comment:

  1. You realy know how to go to town, I loved every moment of it, I had 4 friends over for the occasion, it was lovely. We were all caught up in the romance of it as well as the enormity of the responsibility that lay on those two young people. We pray for them, as well as for the Queen and the rulers of this country. It looks like you and the family had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete